Insurance coverage and plastic surgery
One of the most talked about topics in health care and plastic surgery today is cost. Patients ask if their medical insurance will help offset or cover the cost of a procedure. Aesthetic or cosmetic surgery is often considered elective and therefore insurance coverage is limited or non-existent. However, when you see an American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified/eligible surgeon, every procedure is approached from an aesthetic/cosmetic perspective. Below you will find a list of procedures that are commonly covered by some insurance carriers (if you meet certain criteria). These procedures are often considered reconstructive in nature, but in the hands of the right surgeon these procedures address the cosmetic concerns as well.
- Botox injections (for migraines & eyelid spasms)
- Eyelid surgery
- Breast reductions (for bra strap grooving, skin irritation and back pain)
- Surgery for gynecomastia/enlarged breast in men
- Symmetry procedure on the opposite breast after breast cancer surgery
- Body contouring after weight loss (Arm lift, thigh lift, removal of excess abdominal skin)